Broward County and the Federal Aviation Authority are constructing a $791 million project which will extend runway 9R/27L (the south runway) to an overall length of 8,000 feet and is estimated to be substantially completed in 2014. Construction of the project began in January 2012. The project is funded by the Federal Aviation Adminstration, the Florida Department of Transportation and Passenger Facility Charges. FLL operates under the governance of the Broward County Board of County Commissioners and is an Enterprise Fund of Broward County, receiving no tax revenues to support operations.
This webpage aims to provide citizens impacted by the runway expansion with information regarding the project. Please use the links in the menu to the left to learn more about the following:
- Proposed FLL Airport Runway Animation - An animated representation of what the completed project will look like.
- 2008 EIS - A study prepared by FAA to analyze and disclose potential impacts resulting from the airport expansion.
- FAA Noise Contour Maps - Maps provided by the FAA showing the areas that will fall within the 60 to 75 DNL noise levels.
- 1995 Interlocal Agreement - Agreement between Broward County and Dania Beach pertaining to the expansion and jurisdiction of the airport.
- 2011 Settlement Agreement (voided) - Agreement between Broward County and Dania Beach pertaining to the airport.
- Broward County Amended Noise Mitigation Plan 2012 - The purpose of this plan is to achieve land use compatibility for areas located within the FAA approved 65 DNL and higher noise contour.
- FLL Airport Litigation - Includes links to passed and ongoing litigation efforts.
- US1 Lane Shift - Map showing the current US 1 lane configuration.
- Airport Comment Form - Use this link to send concerns and comments to the City.
- Links - Includes links to other helpful websites.
- Archive - Includes a library of archived documents regarding the airport project.